Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Color Run

If you ever see me running, you should run, too, because it probably means that zombies are chasing me or that aliens have invaded the Earth.  Needless to say, I do not run.  Ever.  Like seriously, never!!  I would definitely be the first one eliminated in the Hunger Games.  So now that we have established that running is not in my vocabulary, let me clarify that I do exercise, I just do different methods of cardiovascular muscle movement.  So that being said, I have particpated in a 5K run for charity that involves loads of colored cornstarch being thrown at the runners throughout the race.  It’s the self- proclaimed Happiest 5K on the Planet…The Color Run.  Most importantly, no running required.  
The Color Run: Before the Race and still clean!

I have actually participated in two Color Runs, or walks in my case, and both of them lived up to the slogan of being "The Happiest 5K on the Planet." I did my first Color Run with some girlfriends and my daughter two years ago, and this year it was a family event.  Both times were equally as colorful and fun. 

There were all kinds of athletes at the Color Run, people who actually RAN (haha), people who jogged, people who walked, and those lucky little ones who got pushed around in strollers.  It's really an event for the whole family no matter what your athletic ability or your age.  There were lots of people who came dressed as a team with matching bandanas, tall sport socks, team t-shirts and even tutus. 

Spending quality time with my family was an important goal of the day, but more importantly, my family was determined to end this 5K race for charity covered in AS MUCH COLOR AS POSSIBLE.  Before we ran through each color station, we were betting each other who would be barraged with the most color while passing the people throwing the colored corn starch.  We would walk slowly, pause in front of them, and do pirouettes to ensure front to back color blasts.  At one point, toward the end of the race my son just decided to roll on the ground through the purple color.  We all have a "play to win" attitude in my family so we took this color challenge very seriously.  Needless to say, we were all very colorful at the end of the race, more colorful than most.  
My son, after doing a body roll through the color. 

         When crossing the finish line, each runner received a packet of color which you are supposed to save for the DJ area.  The DJ gets the crowd pumped and dancing and prompts the runners to release the colors into the air at specific times to create multiple bursts of colorful clouds.  Not my kids, they immediately opened the packets and continued to douse themselves in as much color as possible. Fortunately, there is a guy standing at the exit with a giant leaf blower that will blow the majority of the loose color off of your body  before you get to the car.  This was especially needed for my family!


I think my son was the overall family winner,
           as he was covered in the most color.
              Look at that face!


We always take a jumping picture.  

            The Color Run people made it even more fun to participate in the 5K by providing clever signs so people could take pictures of their experience along the way. 




All in all, the Color Run is a great event for everyone and it supports a charity, so my family will probably do it again next year when it comes to town. Who wouldn't want to spend a day getting covered in as much cornstarch color as possible? Luckily, the Color Run takes place in so many places around the country that if you miss the event closest to your town, it wouldn't be such a far drive to get to another race if you really wanted to participate.  


Color Run Cities